Who are Able Trek Travelers
Individuals who need assistance vacationing are encouraged and welcome to travel with Able Trek Tours. This includes individuals with developmental disabilities, the elderly, individuals with mental illness and others. Most Travelers are individuals with mild to moderate developmental disabilities. Travelers must exhibit good social behavior, have no major medical concerns, be at least 16 years old, and display appropriate behavior toward property, themselves and others. Typical staff to Traveler ratio is 1:3 or 1:4. If a Traveler requires more assistance and/or supervision we MUST be informed of such needs ahead of time.
Travelers Using Wheelchairs
We have accommodations for one to two Travelers using wheelchairs on most trips. It is our experience that nearly all Travelers in wheelchairs require Traveler specific, “specialized” care. Their caregivers must be both physically capable of and trained in the techniques of transferring and lifting. In addition, most Travelers in wheelchairs have very individually specific personal care needs – needs that can only be properly met by a caregiver who has experience with that Traveler. So, in order to properly and safely accommodate Travelers who use wheelchairs, we have adopted the following policy:
- We require that Travelers using wheelchairs bring their own (1:1) personal aid with them on trips. To help make this policy more affordable, the personal caregiver will travel at ½ the cost, meaning the Traveler will pay the regular rate (double occupancy) and their aid will be 50% of that rate.
Our one-day tours differ slightly from our overnight vacations in the following ways:
- Day trips require an abbreviated paperwork packet - application and waiver only.
- The full price of the trip MUST accompany the reservation.
- Staff to Traveler ratio will be 1:4 or 1:5.
- Reservations must be made at least 30 days prior to the trip
- Typical itineraries will have pick-ups in early to mid-morning and returns in the evening (normally no later than 9:30 PM).
- T-shirts, hats and group photos are NOT included in the price. Able Trek t-shirts and hats can be purchased for an additional $6.00.